This collection of stories is for the hearts of children and adults. Today, children are rich with intellectual and technological stimulation. But parents, teachers and true friends of children understand that the future of each child, and our world, is determined more by what is held in the heart than the mind. It is in the heart that we feel our highest aspirations and our oneness with others. It is the heart that feels isolation or inclusion and leads the mind to find solutions and create connections.
Stories that touch the heart open opportunities for children to explore the truth of their own inner nature.
* A story of John Muir’s joyful appreciation of the natural world, even while caught for days in a snow storm, gives children a real example of how to meet life with an open heart.
* An African tale of a coat, pride, and the deep value of friendship, will interest all children who have declared loyalty to their “best friend forever”.
* “Busy Friends” takes children along with Megan as she experiences the fun of selflessly serving others and discovers how to be part of a community.
* Forgiveness, gratitude, and sharing are heart qualities illustrated in stories of spiritual figures Saint Jerome, Saint Patrick, and Jesus.
* Spiritual Affirmations are connected with each story for a simple, heart felt, relevant, and easily learned spiritual practice that gives life and meaning to each lesson.
Every parent and educator will welcome the blend of multicultural tales, biographies, universal spirituality, and original fun adventures of children who could live on your street. Expansive, respectful, real, and warm with kindness, these stories offer possibilities for life to children and adults who feel in their heart that they belong to a larger reality.
“Children’s spirituality thrives on playfulness. It demands respect. And it overflows into the lives of others bringing gifts and abundant inner riches. Not surprisingly, then, we were delighted when we had a chance to immerse ourselves in (these stories). Whether you are a parent, a Sunday School teacher, a preacher, a spiritual seeker, or just someone who likes to look at ideas from a child’s point of view, this one’s for you.” ~ Mary Ann and Frederic Brussat, Spirituality and Practice
Original Stories by Lorna Knox.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
02 The Three Servants and the Coins ~ Discovering Divine Energy
04 A Walk in the City ~ God in Nature
06 The Never Forgotten Son ~ Remembering God’s Presence
08 Sam Digs a Well ~ Concentrating Our Energy
10 The Red and Blue Coat ~ Learning from Mistakes
12 Loaves and Fishes ~ Sharing
14 Tim and John ~ Self Control
16 The Storm ~ Stillness
18 The Tiger’s Whisker ~ Learning Patience
20 Busy Friends ~ Experiencing the Oneness of All Through Service
22 The King Who Wanted to Touch the Moon ~ Practicing Humility
24 Little Lizard’s Sorrow ~ Non-Greed
26 Harriet Tubman’s Willpower ~ Willpower
28 Courageous Corrie ~ Courage
30 John Muir in the Mountains ~ Filling Our Minds with Goodness
32 The Persistent Friend ~ Opening Our Hearts in Prayer
34 The Golden Rabbit and Wise Lion ~ Accessing Sacred Guidance
36 God’s Little Workshop ~ Infinite Possibilities in each Moment
38 One Life Touches Another ~ Expanding Awareness
40 St Jerome and the Lion ~ Forgiving and Healing
42 Thomas Edison Never Quit ~ Perseverance
44 The Gardener ~ Truthfulness
46 Marian Anderson Sings ~ Inclusion
48 Deo Gratias ~ Expressing Gratitude